Murals and public art projects are popping up all over Pearland, much like they have in central Houston’s urban landscape. As summer begins, Pearland will add another mural when a new amphitheater opens at Independence Park. Among things to do in Pearland, “Art on the Go” murals and the artful PearScape Trail are fun, educational and free outings.
Art on the Go – Murals
Be sure to take a camera, “Art on the Go” murals are colorful backdrops for photos and videos.
- One of the most recognized outdoor murals in Pearland spans a full exterior wall of the Sugared Pear Market in Old Townsite. The colorful mural is a collage of iconic images within the word, “Pearland”.
- King’s Biergarten & Restaurant tells its story on exterior and interior murals. The two-story outdoor mural depicts a festive Austrian village, reminiscent of the owner’s heritage. Inside murals promote specialties, from steins of cold beer to sizzling bratwurst. Prost!
- Next, green, leggy frogs jump off the walls of the Nature Center where children learn about wildlife and flora. Baby alligators, Han and Chewy, are favorites. Plan enough time to walk the 1.7 miles of nature trails and wetlands. Bring Fido, he’ll love it!
- A beautification project for Counseling Connections for Change became a nature inspired interactive mural for children learning to connect. Visitors become part of the mural as they interact with colorful flowers, butterflies, trees and water.
- Lastly, the Drink Station features a vibrant interior mural that explodes in bold primary colors. Specializing in unique teas and coffees this trendy, comfortable spot is a great place to recharge and meet locals.
The PearScape Trail consists of twenty 4-foot tall, 3D pears that are installed at ten locations throughout Pearland. The trail gives visitors a quick tour of Pearland’s points of interest and things to do.
For instance, there are several PearScape pears in Old Townsite where art studios, shops and popular restaurants are located. Simply Fine Art Gallery features artwork and handmade items by local artists. Art classes are available, and walk-ins are welcome.
By the way, the beautifully conceived PearScape pears were designed and painted by local artists. Themes speak to the history of Pearland, patriotism, nature, music and art. Renown artists such as Jackson Pollock, Gustav Klimt, and Vincent Van Gogh inspired several designs.
Visitors will find lots of opportunities to enjoy art and more in Pearland. Start your visit with a PearScape information guide and map, available at www.visitpearland.com. You will get to know Pearland as a place for art, good food and fun things to do for free.