The Pearland Tourism celebration took place on Thursday, May 9th at the Delores Fenwick Nature Center. Held to commemorate National Travel & Tourism week, the annual event celebrates tourism at the local level with a hospitality awards celebration.
This year recipients of the Janice Van Hooten Customer Service award include:
- Dustin Shouse, Pei Wei Asian Diner
- Sara Sotelo, Elements Massage
- Tammy Shuman, Comfort Suites
- Tawnya Crawford, Rustique
The Shooting Star award recipients include:
- Chandra Ibrahim, Spring Hill Suites
- Donald Hayes, Citizens Depot committee
- Pearl Theater, Renee and Peter van Nifterik
The 2019 Tourism MVP award recipient is:
- Manny Patel, Comfort Suites
Also, two organizations received Director’s Awards for their continued contribution to the tourism industry:
- Pearland Alliance for Arts & Culture – Heidi Wiess
- Pearland Historical Society – Jerry Johnston, President
In addition, Kim LeBlanc from the Texas Film Commission presented the Pearland Convention & Visitors Bureau with the Texas Film Friendly Certification recognizing the City for its new status a film friendly destination.
Mayor Tom Reid read and presented the proclamation for National Travel & Tourism Week. Tourism plays a significant role in the economic impact of the City of Pearland, by bringing in $142 million in 2017 in visitor spending and $5.5 million in local tax revenues, and $8.1 million in State tax revenues, and employ a total of 1230.