“PEAR-Scape 2016” A Public Art Sculpture Trail
CALL TO ARTIST AGREEMENT & INFORMATION
PURPOSE of “PEAR-Scape 2016”, public art sculpture trail is to engage the Pearland, Texas community in beautifying the community, support a healthy tourist economy and provide an artistic attraction for visitors/citizens to experience. Once painted by artists, the Pears are intended to help instill civic pride while beautifying Pearland.
An “OPEN CALL TO ARTISTS” intends to build a pre-qualified pool of artists in Pearland and the Texas area for the project beginning March 2016.
PEAR SCULPTURES will be molded fiberglass. Each Pear will be approximately 30”-32” inches wide at the base and 48” tall. Each pear will be placed on an elevated base that will accommodate a sponsor plaque when completed. These painted/decorated Pears will be permanently placed in clusters throughout the Pearland community for the public viewing.
The PAINTING of the PEARS will take place by individual artists/collaborative artist groups. Instructions on painting techniques will be provided. Upon Artist completion of acrylic painting, Artist must apply a clear sealer protective finish coating for transportation. Each Artist/artist group will receive a $100 stipend for supplies and a $900 stipend for design/painting execution of each Pear. Artists may enter up to three (3) designs.
ARTIST ELIGIBILITY is as follows:
- Artists/Artists collaborative groups must reside in the State of Texas.
- All artists must be 16 yrs. of age or older.
- No employee or family member of the City of Pearland is eligible to enter.
- No artist who is currently under contract or in contract negotiations with the City of Pearland for projects of any scope or budget size may enter.
- No member/family member of the “PEAR-Scape 2016” committee is eligible to enter.
PROCESS for Artists:
Artist/Artist Group must submit a completed and signed CALL TO ARTIST agreement along with the following to: Pearland Convention & Visitors Bureau, 11200 Broadway St., Suite 1390, Pearland,TX 77584 | email – [email protected]
1. Short (up to one page) biography. (To be viewed by public)
2. Three (3) examples of your completed work to [email protected] in JPEG format (up to 5 MB – megabytes) JPEG images must be labeled with artist/artist group name and title of work.
3. Up to Three (3) proposed Pear design(s), sketched on paper outline provided and general narrative description. (The selection committee understands the difficulty presenting your design on a small size paper. Therefore, present your ideas with as much detail as possible and include a descriptive narrative.)
4. Reminder to sign the agreement.
TIMELINE for Pearland “PEAR-Scape 2016” Art Sculpture Trail:
- March 2016 –Artists/Artists Group “Call to Artist” released.
- May 2, 2016 –Deadline for Artist entries.
- May 15-16, 2016 –Artist notification of accepted designs.
- May 17-27, 2016 –Sponsor design selection.
- May 28-31, 2016 –Artist’s notified of their Pear Sponsor
- June 4-5, 2016 –Artists move Pears to their studios/homes for completion of painting design work. Location to pick up Pears TBA. $100 supply stipend awarded to artists.
- August 12-13, 2016 –Pear Sculpture Art to be completed & delivered by artist/artist groups to a central location TBA. Artists to collect $900 artist stipend.
- August 14-26, 2016 –Clear Coating of completed Pears.
- September/October — Installation of Pears.
- October-November — “PEAR-Scape 2016” art sculpture trail reveal.
(Dates are approximate; you will be notified upon any changes)
Pearland Convention & Visitors Bureau